Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Smashed Sweet Potatoes ™

This is a great alternative to mashed potatoes. This perfect for fall and the holidays.

I've peeled the sweet potatoes, but you leave the skin on if desired. I've used sugar but you can use your favorite sweetener if desired instead. I've used a reduced fat milk and butter but you can use vegan options instead if desired. 

3 large sweet potatoes quartered and peeled
1/2 c low fat milk or vegan milk
2 T butter or vegan alternative
1/8 - 1/4 tsp pepper to taste
1/8 tsp salt (optional)
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. sugar (optional)

Rinse, peel and quarter sweet potatoes. Place potatoes in pot with water and boil for 20 minutes or until tender. 

Drain water from potatoes in colander or strainer. Transfer potatoes back to pot. Mash with potato masher or ricer. While mashing add butter, salt, pepper, sugar and milk. Mash until smooth.

Serves 4 approx.







1 comment:

Joanne said...

I love sweet potatoes. It's my go to carb before a big race day. I also love that it can be used as an entree side dish as well as a dessert :)