Monday, January 11, 2010

Double Play Panini ™

This is a very simple recipe for my version of a Panini. It's called double play because there are 2 kinds of nitrate free meat and cheeses used.

I've used ham, salami,  Provolone and Swiss cheese. I've used a regular skillet, but this recipe also works on a grill pan, a panini maker or even on an outdoor grill.



Feel free to experiment and use what meats, bread, cheeses, vegetables you like.  Try to use nitrate free if possible. You can even make this sandwich vegan,  if desired. 


Sandwiches

8 slices each: bread
4 slices each: Provolone,  Swiss Cheese ( lean),
ham (lean), hard salami
1 Roma tomato (sliced)
4 lettuce leaves



Dressing

1/4 c + 1- 2 T olive oil
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1 small clove garlic (crushed, chopped)
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp each: dried parsley, dried basil


In a small bowl combine: 1/3 c olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, parsley and basil. Mix well and set aside.


To assemble sandwiches: Layer 2 slices of ham and salami, 1 slices of provolone and the Swiss on 4 slices of the bread. Top with tomato slices and lettuce leaves.

Take remaining bread and drizzle or smear dressing on one side of bread. Top sandwiches with the bread dressing side down.

To heat: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add oil. Place 1 sandwich in skillet. Place small pan over sandwich to press down on sandwich. Cook on 1 side for 3 -5 min or until brown. Flip over and cook on other side for 3-5 min or until brown. Repeat cooking process with remaining sandwiches.


Makes 4 servings.















4 comments:

Jaime said...

I love panninis! happy new year!

Pam said...

What a great sounding panini, I especially love the dressing.

rosasdolcevita said...

Hi Heide! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I love this recipe! I never thought of using my grill pan for making pannini. I always thought that you always had to use a pannini maker. Maybe a heavy brick covered in aluminum foil would work too when pressing down on the sandwich. Who knows? Worth a try, though. :-)

rosa :-)
cookingwithrosie.blogspot.com

Lea Ann said...

Sounds like a great sandwich. Thanks for stopping by my blog, hope you'll come back often for a visit. I've subscribed to your blog.